Money pledged to protect art in Detroit bankruptcy - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Money pledged to protect art in Detroit bankruptcy

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Institute of Arts says it has $13 million in new pledges from two major philanthropies to prevent the sale of art and help retirees in Detroit's bankruptcy.
 
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is pledging $10 million, and the J. Paul Getty Trust is offering $3 million. The Detroit museum is committed to raising $100 million.
 
In a statement Wednesday, DIA director Graham Beal says the gifts are extraordinary. General Motors, Ford Motor and Chrysler last week pledged $26 million.
 
The museum, the state of Michigan and other foundations together are giving more than $800 million to soften pension cuts in Detroit's bankruptcy and keep creditors away from the art collection.
 
Judge Steven Rhodes has set an Aug. 14 trial on Detroit's plan to get out of bankruptcy.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Evan Reed arraigned on sexual assault charges

    Evan Reed arraigned on sexual assault charges

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:42:51 GMT
    Minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been arraigned on charges of sexually assaulting a woman at a downtown Detroit hotel.
    Minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been arraigned on charges of sexually assaulting a woman at a downtown Detroit hotel.
  • Two in custody on drug charges after search connected to Armada teen's murder

    Two in custody on drug charges after search connected to Armada teen's murder

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:17:30 GMT
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.
  • 24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:26:09 GMT
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices