Rebuilding continues at Seaside boardwalk - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Rebuilding continues at Seaside boardwalk

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie took a walk down the Seaside Heights and Seaside Park boardwalk Friday, posed for a few selfies, and surveyed the rebuilding process after the massive fire that destroyed more than 50 businesses on September 12, 2013.

The wind whipped fire devastated 8 blocks of boardwalk in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights, causing millions of dollars in damage to the the same area hit hard by Superstorm Sandy.

"We are making progress," Christie said. "Both here in Seaside Heights and Seaside Park, and I'm going to be on top of this, every week."

But residents like Jane Rogna said the rebuild isn't happening fast enough.

"We don't have one rental yet all season and we're panicking," she said.

So are the owners of George's pizza, a business that dodged the fire, but hasn't been doing well since.

Christie said money is still available for businesses to apply for grants and loans.

Resident Sue Massorli said she is happy with the progress and optimistic about the summer ahead.

"There are a lot of activities planned for the summer, it's going to be a great summer," Massorli said.

Christie said he and his family plan on spending most of their time down the shore this summer to bring as much publicity and tourism to this area as he can.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
  • FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    FEMA chief questioned over Sandy claims

    Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.Hurricane Sandy damage in Mantoloking, N.J.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
    The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked an independent watchdog to examine whether the flood-insurance program is shortchanging Superstorm Sandy victims.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices