Detroit teen recovering from mercury poisoning - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Detroit teen recovering from mercury poisoning after spill at home

Posted: Updated:
Jamile Carter, 17, was diagnosed with mercury poisoning in January. Jamile Carter, 17, was diagnosed with mercury poisoning in January.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Tasha Brown says some mercury spilled in her home last year, and it was cleaned it up using her vacuum. Now her son has mercury poisoning and she learns that, in addition to the improper handling of the spill, it may not have been reported properly either.

Brown says the spill happened in November of 2013 after her younger son found mercury in an old garage. He accidentally spilled some in his older brother's room, and also brought it to school in a plastic bag to show a science teacher.

Officials say the school was put on lockdown and Hazmat, police and fire were called. After no exposure, the lockdown was lifted, and Brown says Hazmat then came to her home.

"They came in. They had just the blue gloves ... and they tried to clean it up with tape and little pieces of cardboard, and then they asked me did I have a vacuum. I said yes. They used my vacuum and vacuumed it up and told me it was clear," Brown tells FOX 2's Erika Erickson.

Brown says she thought the mercury was gone. Then her 17-year-old son, Jamile Carter, became extremely ill a month later.

"Body aching and nerves, like, my body was twitching, and I was sweating," Carter remembers. He also experienced burns and vision loss.

He was rushed to the hospital and later diagnosed in January with mercury poisoning.

Brown says the EPA and Health Department cleaned and stripped her home, but says now no one is taking responsibility for the clean-up back in November.

"They say they never came to my house; they never used my vacuum," Brown says.

Detroit Fire Marshall Robin Eagan says that is not the way mercury is cleaned up, and Detroit Fire and Hazmat do not have a record of ever visiting Brown's home. Brown insists a Hazmat crew did visit the home.

"It was wrong for them to do that, and they knew that they [weren't] supposed to use our vacuum," says Carter.

Carter says he is finally starting to feel better.

LINK: Click here to hear more about mercury releases and spills

The EPA says exposures to mercury can affect the human nervous system and harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs and immune system.

Common symptoms of mercury poisoning include burning, itching and/or pain. You may also notice skin discoloration in your cheeks, fingertips and toes. Your skin could even start shredding.

Other symptoms include swelling, profuse sweating, increased salivation and high blood pressure.

In children you may notice red cheeks and lips, hair loss and/or rashes. They could also experience a loss of speech and/or increased sensitivity to light.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Evan Reed arraigned on sexual assault charges

    Evan Reed arraigned on sexual assault charges

    Thursday, July 31 2014 2:21 PM EDT2014-07-31 18:21:35 GMT
    Minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been arraigned on charges of sexually assaulting a woman at a downtown Detroit hotel.
    Minor league pitcher Evan Reed has been arraigned on charges of sexually assaulting a woman at a downtown Detroit hotel.
  • Two in custody on drug charges after search connected to Armada teen's murder

    Two in custody on drug charges after search connected to Armada teen's murder

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:17:30 GMT
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.
    The FBI and state police were at a home on Marquette Road in Goodells, Mich. most of Wednesday executing an investigative search warrant related to the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap.
  • 24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:26:09 GMT
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices