Boy Saves Family In House Fire - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Boy Saves Family In House Fire

Posted: Updated:

"I smelled smoke, and the I looked out of my bunk head and saw fire." That's 8-year-old Nicco, explaining how he woke up in the middle of the night and realized their home was on fire. 

"It was by my uncle's bed, the flames," he adds, "and I started yelling, uncle get up! Fire! Fire!"

That started waking up the rest of the family, all deeply asleep. The fire alarms were not working, and the flames were spreading quickly through the upstairs rooms.

"If Nicco had not woken me up," says his 9 year old sister, Lily, "I'd be in a hospital with third degree burns, or my parents would be arranging my funeral". She is still shaky. So is Nicco, who are staying with family. They managed to get out all six adults in the house, including the grandparents and an uncle who was sleeping right next to where the fire started, which was an electrical outlet overloaded with mobile phones and other devices. 

"He saved all our lives," says the children's mother, Alicia. "We lost stuff, it's just stuff, when you think about what could have happened."

What did you learn? I ask the very bright siblings.

"Fire is no joke" says Lily, while her brother chimes in I with, "Check the batteries of alarms often, and replace them every year, and have the escape plan ready!"

Oh, we all say at the same time: don't overload your electrical outlets with every cell phone, iPad and whatever other devices are in the house.

  • Los Angeles & SoCal NewsLos Angeles & SoCal NewsMore>>

  • UCLA Students & Faculty Finally Picking Up Cars After Flooding

    UCLA Students & Faculty Finally Picking Up Cars After Flooding

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:53 PM EDT2014-08-02 02:53:29 GMT
    [PHOTO GALLERY] Repair crews on Thursday were shoring up a giant hole in the middle of Sunset Boulevard caused by a ruptured pipe, as officials at the water-logged University of California, Los Angeles, continued to assess damage from the 20 million gallons that inundated the campus.
    [PHOTO GALLERY] Repair crews on Thursday were shoring up a giant hole in the middle of Sunset Boulevard caused by a ruptured pipe, as officials at the water-logged University of California, Los Angeles, continued to assess damage from the 20 million gallons that inundated the campus.
  • Deal or No Big Deal Friday August 1

    Deal or No Big Deal Friday August 1

    Deal or No Big Deal Friday August 1

     Topics today include Clinton Tape: "I Could Have Killed Bin Laden"; Ebola Patients Coming to U.S. in Deal or No Big Deal Friday August 1
     Topics today include Clinton Tape: "I Could Have Killed Bin Laden"; Ebola Patients Coming to U.S. in Deal or No Big Deal Friday August 1

  • Caught On Camera: Mountain Lion Roams Norwalk Neighborhood

    Caught On Camera: Mountain Lion Roams Norwalk Neighborhood

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:34 AM EDT2014-08-01 14:34:23 GMT
    A home's video surveillance system captured images of a lion walking through a Norwalk residential neighborhood this morning, but it was unclear what type it was.
    A home's video surveillance system captured images of a lion walking through a Norwalk residential neighborhood this morning, but it was unclear what type it was.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices