Fatal fire in Ga. ruled accidental - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Fatal fire in Ga. ruled accidental

Posted: Updated:

CORDELE, Ga. (AP) - State fire officials say a blaze that tore through a Crisp County home and killed a 76-year-old man has been ruled accidental.

State Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says Moses Jimmerson was killed in a fire Wednesday afternoon that was caused by unattended food left cooking on the stove.

Hudgens say the man's Cordele home was destroyed in the blaze. Cordele is about 40 miles northeast of Albany. Officials say the man was home alone at the time, and his house had no working smoke detectors.

Hudgens says Jimmerson's death is the 114th fire-related fatality to be recorded in Georgia this year. Of that number, Hudgens says 16 have been directly linked to food left unattended on kitchen stoves.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices