The top three men finishers, Ryan Hall, left, second, Meb Keflezighi, center, first, and Abdi Abdirahman, third, pose after the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -
The injury-prone Ryan Hall, who holds the record for the fastest marathon run by an American, has withdrawn from the ING New York City Marathon, New York Road Runners announced.
The setback delays Hall's attempt at making a comeback. The 30-year-old from California has not finished a marathon since the U.S. Olympic Trials race in January 2012. He has been dogged by injuries, and cited a hip problem as keeping him from this year's 26.2-mile race in New York.
"In my zealous efforts to have redemption in this year's ING New York City Marathon, I overstepped the first and most important rule--making it to the line healthy," Hall said in a statement released by NYRR. "A long string of very aggressive training has aggravated my hip and it has not been able to fully calm down, such that I don't think racing on it is wise."
This is the latest in a string of elite races that Hall was scheduled to run but either did not finish or withdrew from prior to race day. In August 2012, he ran about 11 miles of the Olympic Marathon in London before dropping out with a hamstring injury. He was also supposed to run the Boston Marathon and Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half-Marathon this year, but canceled.
Hall's Olympic teammate Meb Keflezighi, the 2009 NYC Marathon champion, is still slated to run the five-borough race on November 3.
Last year's marathon was canceled after Superstorm Sandy slammed the New York area.
"Redemption will have to wait," Hall said, "but it will be all the more sweet."