Child Gets Second-Degree Burns From School Lunch - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Child Gets Second-Degree Burns From School Lunch

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

Friday's lunch at Pennell Elementary school was turkey taco meat over nacho chips, but that became a molten mess when 7-year-old Ja-Kye Robinson got frustrated trying to open the plastic pouch of meat.

"I was trying to open it, and I smashed it. And it splattered all over my face and my clothes," Ja-Kye said. "It felt hot, and it burned."

Second degree burns, according to doctors at Einstein hospital's emergency room, where Ja-Kye was later rushed by his family.

"Why would you feed a 7 year old first grader food that hot? Why? It don't make no sense," John Ambrose, Ja-Kay's father said.

School District Spokesman Fernanda Gallard said the food should absolutely not be that hot.

Ja-Kye was taken to the principal's office for treatment, which raised a second troubling question. Where is the school's nurse? The Pennell principal and staff were left to deal with the burns.

A district spokesman says they attempted to help the suffering child.

"The school did provide ice to the student, to cool down his face," Gallard said.

The school put ice in a bag and told Ja-Kye to place it on his cheek.

Instructions from Einstein say clearly, "Do put ice on your burn. "In fact, it can further damage the skin, School personnel did not call 911, a spokesman said it did not seem necessary.

To Ja-Kye's mother Rosalyn Robinson, that was part of a frustrating theme that day.

"Like, 'oh, it's no big deal. It's a burn.' To me, it is a big deal. It's my child's face," she said.

Fernando Gallard says the district will investigate the temperature at which that taco meat was served to the children.

Clearly it should not be hot enough to cause burns. Ja-kye says he's feeling better.

It's far too early to know whether those facial burns will leave a scar.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:45 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:45:07 GMT
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
  • No Leads On The Cause Of Sea Isle's 7 Alarm Fire

    No Leads On The Cause Of Sea Isle's 7 Alarm Fire

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:10 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:10:30 GMT
    A seven-alarm fire is captured on smart phone video as it burns several homes, including beachfront properties, in Sea Isle City.
    A seven-alarm fire is captured on smart phone video as it burns several homes, including beachfront properties, in Sea Isle City.
  • Couple Married 70 Years Die 15 Hours Apart

    Couple Married 70 Years Die 15 Hours Apart

    Couple Married 70 Years Die 15 Hours Apart

    Saturday, April 19 2014 5:51 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:51:01 GMT
    NASHPORT, Ohio (AP) - A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.Helen Felumlee, of Nashport, died at 92 on April 12. Her husband, 91-year-old Kenneth Felumlee, died the next morning.
    NASHPORT, Ohio (AP) - A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.Helen Felumlee, of Nashport, died at 92 on April 12. Her husband, 91-year-old Kenneth Felumlee, died the next morning.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices