Groundbreaking held for NY-NJ rail tunnel work - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Groundbreaking held for NY-NJ rail tunnel work

NEW YORK (AP) - A three-block-long concrete casing is being built to preserve a possible right-of-way for two flood-resistant rail tunnels into Penn Station in Manhattan.

Amtrak Chairman Tony Coscia said the tunnels would improve the reliability, capacity and resiliency of Amtrak and New Jersey Transit.

Monday's groundbreaking included Sens. Charles Schumer of New York and Robert Menendez of New Jersey, and New York Rep. Jerrold Nadler. In May, they announced $185 million in federal Superstorm Sandy relief funding for the project.

The Sandy storm surge flooded four tunnels under the Hudson and East rivers.

It halted Amtrak Northeast Corridor and NJ Transit service into Manhattan for about five days. It also severely hampered Long Island Rail Road service.

The lawmakers are still seeking more funding for Northeast Corridor rail service.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices