One Arrest After Child Left In Van For Three Hours - FOX 10 News |

One Arrest After Child Left In Van For Three Hours

Posted: Updated:

There's an arrest tonight after a child is left in a sweltering van at a daycare yesterday.

A five year old boy, who's name has not been released, is at Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania tonight, in critical but stable condition. His caregiver has been charged with Reckless Endangerment and Endangering the Welfare of a child after she accidentally left him in a sweltering vehicle for several hours during yesterday's scorching heat.

"That's ugly. That's very ugly," said a resident.

Upper Darby police say that 58-year-old Norma Davis is an owner at PNP Family Play Center. Wednesday afternoon around 3:00, police say Davis brought the five year old and two other children to the center for after school care in a Buick. Davis brought two of the kids inside, and apparently forgot the five year old seated in the back row seat behind heavily tinted glass.

"Three hours later, the mother of the five year old comes to the daycare center and asks for her child, wants to get her child. She's told, ‘we don't have your child.' ‘Well, somebody has my child. I left him here this morning.' The owner goes out to the car with the mother and there's the little boy in the back seat, unconscious," describes Superintendent Michael Chitwood.

Jesse Horton was shopping with his daughter when the ambulances arrived.

"I couldn't tell anything from what we saw. They were moving very fast, so they just grabbed and ran with the child," he recalled.

Today, parents weren't commenting, neither were workers here, except to praise Davis.

"She's a good person?" asks Bruce Gordon.

"Very," replies the employee.

"How careful do you believe she is in general?" asks Gordon.

"Very," he replies.

Superintendent Chitwood acknowledges that this was a mistake, not deliberate. But he's still baffled that something like this could happen at a daycare.

"It just boggles my mind that a five year old or young children are entrusted to you and you don't know exactly who is where and when and why," he says.

Norma Davis is out on bail tonight, but she did not answer a knock at the door of her Yeadon home this afternoon. One parent told us, late this afternoon, that the facility has notified them of what happened and that policies for keeping a better eye on children coming and going have already been put in place. The hope now is that the little boy survives.

Powered by WorldNow

511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices