Michelle Obama, daughters saw Broadway shows - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Michelle Obama, daughters saw Broadway shows

Posted: Updated:

MARK KENNEDY | AP Drama Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Michelle Obama and her daughters caught two Broadway shows over the weekend -- "The Trip to Bountiful" and "Motown the Musical."

The first lady and Malia and Sasha saw the Horton Foote revival on Saturday and the Berry Gordy bio the next night. The audience at both shows gave them standing ovations.

At "The Trip to Bountiful," the trio went back stage after the show and met the crew and cast, including Cicely Tyson, Vanessa Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr.

The first lady was in town to promote her "Let's Move" campaign during Arthur Ashe Kids' Day at the U.S. Open.

The Obamas have been big boosters of Broadway. The first lady and Sasha and Malia have attended performances of "Memphis," "Sister Act" and "The Addams Family." And the first couple saw "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" during a date night in 2009. Michelle Obama and six girlfriends also saw "Fela!" in 2010.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices