Family files lawsuit over restaurant food contamination
Several people have filed a lawsuit against Federico's. At least 52 people who ate there were sickened by e.Coli.
Melani Beauregard and her two kids, an 16-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son, ate at Federico's at Camelback and Dysart on the 24th of July. They had chicken tacos with lettuce.
Her daughter Alex spent 6 days in the hospital, and her son James went to the ER twice.
"The doctor came in and said, 'it's kind of a funny question but did you guys eat at Federico's anytime?' and were like oh yeah that's weird, like yeah we went on Wednesday," says Alex.
"I didn't even know what to do. Both of them were crying every time, like severely, they were both in each bathroom, I had them set up in there because they were going so many times, they were in so much pain, I felt so helpless," says mom Melani.
The family used to frequent Federico's. Now they're skeptical to eat out anywhere.
"I feel safer feeding my kids at home."
Federico's is back open today. It passed all the health inspections over the weekend. Health officials haven't pinpointed exactly which food contained the illness.