Investigators believe a massive house fire on Sunday was caused by a cigarette that wasn't completely put out. That cigarette sparked a fire near 65th Avenue and Peoria.
Firefighters took this picture of the inside of the house. They believe all of this damage was caused by a one cigarette.
The homeowner apparently thought he put the cigarette out, then went to work. 30 minutes later, the fire started.
"I saw smoke, it was black smoke," said neighbor Joseph Shephard. "It got really big."
Neighbors took pictures of the thick black smoke.
"I wouldn't want it to happen to me."
Hard to believe one cigarette could do this much damage.
Next door neighbors also had to evacuate just in case.
"It's a total loss. They got it out just in time because if they didn't, his house might have caught fire also. It was that intense," says neighbor Joseph Lane.
The propane tank in the backyard added fuel to the fast moving house fire. Working in triple digit heat, Glendale firefighters kept the fire from spreading.
The house is now been boarded up. It's not safe to live in.
This picture, firefighters say, a good reminder why smoking inside of a home is so dangerous.
"I quit smoking about five years ago so I think it's pretty disgusting," says Lane.
"They're going to have to go in there and redo the whole entire house," says Shephard.
Thankfully no one was hurt.
KSAZ-TV & KUTP511 W. Adams St.Phoenix, AZ 85003Phone: (602) 257-1234Fax: (602) 262-0177