Conn. Chimp victim denied lawsuit - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Conn. Chimp victim denied lawsuit

Posted: Updated:
Charla Nash after her face-transplant operation Charla Nash after her face-transplant operation

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A Connecticut woman disfigured in a chimpanzee attack has been denied permission to sue the state.

Charla Nash's family sought permission to sue Connecticut for $150 million but was denied Friday by state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. The state is immune from lawsuits unless they're allowed by the commissioner.

Nash was blinded, lost both hands and underwent a face transplant after being mauled in Stamford in 2009.

Nash reached a $4 million settlement last year with the estate of chimp owner Sandra Herold, who died in 2010.

Nash's lawyer said the state should be held responsible for not seizing the animal before the attack, because it was warned the animal was dangerous. State Attorney General George Jepsen said the state shouldn't be held liable for the mauling.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Conn. teen seeks OK for 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 10:07 AM EDT2014-04-24 14:07:15 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
  • Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Free dental clinic to draw thousands in Hartford

    Thursday, April 24 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-04-24 12:24:06 GMT
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
    More than 2,000 patients are expected to seek free dental work at an annual clinic in Connecticut.  The seventh annual Connecticut Mission of Mercy free dental clinic is scheduled for Friday and Saturday.
  • Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:33:11 GMT
    New Haven police say they have charged a Westbrook with making a hoax call in November to say an armed man was heading to shoot up Yale University.
    Police say they have charged a Connecticut man with making a call in November in which he falsely claimed an armed man was on his way to shoot up Yale University. New Haven police said Wednesday that 50-year-old Jeffrey Jones, of Westbrook, has been charged with falsely reporting an incident, threatening, reckless endangerment, misuse of the emergency 911 system and breach of peace.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices