Family of Ariel Russo plans to sue NYC - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Family of Ariel Russo plans to sue NYC

Posted: Updated:

By JAKE PEARSON

NEW YORK (AP) " The parents of a 4-year-old girl killed in a car crash earlier this month announced plans Wednesday for a $20 million wrongful death lawsuit against the city of New York after she and her grandmother were struck by an SUV driven by an unlicensed teen fleeing police.

Sofia and Alan Russo, also said Ariel Russo's grandmother, Katia Gutierrez also plans to file a separate notice of claim for $20 million in damages related to the June 4 accident.

"I did not want to come before the press today," Sofia Russo read from a statement, holding back tears as she spoke. "But I have to communicate that my daughter did not live and die in vain."

A notice of claim, filed with the city's Comptroller, is the first legal step before a lawsuit can be filed against the city. The Russos' notice of claim lists the city, the its police and fire departments and the city's Emergency Medical Services as defendants.

The FDNY referred questions to the city Law Department, which said it hasn't been served yet but will review the claim.

Russo died after a 17-year-old unlicensed driver behind the wheel of his parent's SUV jumped the curb on Manhattan's Upper West Side while fleeing police who were giving chase, police said. The accident occurred at 8:15 a.m. when the car slammed into a restaurant on the ground floor of an apartment building, pinning Ariel Russo and her 58-year-old grandmother.

Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano has since said that while the emergency call came in at 8:15 a.m., a dispatcher left the desk without seeing it " and no one saw it until four minutes later. At that point, an ambulance was dispatched and arrived about four minutes later, 90 seconds slower than usual, according to Cassano.

In the legal papers filed Wednesday, Russo's parents claim the city's 911 system was in part to blame for their daughter's death.

The city has a new 911 system, and part of it has suffered a series of glitches recently that have stalled computers at dispatchers' terminals, at one point for an hour at a time. Cassano has said that wasn't the case here.

But the union that represents emergency medical service workers has said glitches in the 911 system prevented the call from appearing on the dispatcher's screen. Comptroller John Liu said Tuesday his office has started an audit of the 911 system.

The Russos' lawyer, Sanford Rubenstein, urged the city and union to "stop pointing fingers." He said that the family plans to file a civil lawsuit in state Supreme Court in Manhattan shortly.

"No amount of money can ever take us back to our lives as it was before June 4," said Sofia Russo. "But this law suit can force the city to be more careful and prevent this from happening to anyone else."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Today on Good DayToday on Good DayMore>>

  • Joe Morton on playing 'Rowan Pope' in 'Scandal'

    Joe Morton on playing 'Rowan Pope' in 'Scandal'

    Thursday, April 17 2014 11:16 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:16:20 GMT
    The season three finale of the hit series, 'Scandal,' airs Thursday night. Fans will learn the answer to the pressing question: 'what happens to Rowan Pope (the father of Kerry Washington's character)? When things left off, Morton had killed his ex-wife's lover.  "And I loved every minute of it," joked the star. He wasn't' divulging much in terms of the plot during his interview with Good Day NY, but he did say the show was a highlight of his life.
    The season three finale of the hit series, 'Scandal,' airs Thursday night. Fans will learn the answer to the pressing question: 'what happens to Rowan Pope (the father of Kerry Washington's character)? When things left off, Morton had killed his ex-wife's lover.  "And I loved every minute of it," joked the star. He wasn't' divulging much in terms of the plot during his interview with Good Day NY, but he did say the show was a highlight of his life.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
  • Driver-less cars, cameras that see beneath vehicles at NY Auto Show

    Driver-less cars, cameras that see beneath vehicles at NY Auto Show

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 1:23 PM EDT2014-04-16 17:23:39 GMT
    The future is here when it comes to vehicles. The auto industry has packed nearly 1,000 automobiles into the Jacob Javits Center on Manhattan's West Side for the 2014 NY Auto Show.   Among the 'must-sees' is a hydrogen-powered vehicle and a prototype with cameras that allow you to see the ground underneath as you drive over it.
    The future is here when it comes to vehicles. The auto industry has packed nearly 1,000 automobiles into the Jacob Javits Center on Manhattan's West Side for the 2014 NY Auto Show.   Among the 'must-sees' is a hydrogen-powered vehicle and a prototype with cameras that allow you to see the ground underneath as you drive over it.
  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Thursday, April 17 2014 1:57 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:57:48 GMT
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads in part:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
  • Court extends NYPD officer's weapons case in India

    Court extends NYPD officer's weapons case in India

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-04-17 10:57:01 GMT
    An Indian court says it won't rule before July 1 on the case of a New York City police officer arrested in New Delhi on a weapons charge. The New York Police Department says Manny Encarnacion was arrested in March after Indian authorities discovered three bullets he had accidentally packed in his luggage. He is out on bail but has been barred from leaving India until the case is resolved.
    An Indian court says it won't rule before July 1 on the case of a New York City police officer arrested in New Delhi on a weapons charge. The New York Police Department says Manny Encarnacion was arrested in March after Indian authorities discovered three bullets he had accidentally packed in his luggage. He is out on bail but has been barred from leaving India until the case is resolved.
  • Baby found in teen's shopping bag called homicide

    Baby found in teen's shopping bag called homicide

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-04-17 03:07:27 GMT
    The New York City medical examiner has ruled that the death of a baby found in a teenager's shopping bag was a homicide.
    The New York City medical examiner has ruled that the death of a baby found in a teenager's shopping bag was a homicide.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices