Over 100 people will cook up special salsa recipes for the chance at a $1,000 prize.
Competitors in Macayo's 29th Annual My Nana's Best Tasting Salsa Challenge will throw down on April 27.
Macayo's encouraged cooks to submit a variety of hot, mild and fruity salsas. The winner will get $1,000 and their recipe featured on Macayo's menu.
Plus, what are chips and salsa without margaritas? There will be a mix-off in addition to live entertainment and a funzone.
While challengers begin cooking, attendees can run in Macayo's 2nd Annual Salsa 5k "Too Hot To Trot" at Tempe Beach Park. Funds will benefit the Arizona Hemophilia Association.
Macayo's 29th Annual My Nana's Best Tasting Salsa Challenge
April 27 at 11 a.m.
Tempe Beach Park
80 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe, Arizona 85281
Sweet and sassy fruit salsa
3-cups approx 16-oz strawberries-chopped
1-cup approx 6-oz mango -diced ¼ inch pieces
1-cup approx 4-oz Jicama -diced ¼ inch pieces
¼-cup approx 1-oz Cilantro-chopped
2-ea Lrg approx 5 to 6-oz Anahiem chiles-seeded finely diced
3-tbsp approx 2-oz lime juice- fresh squeezed
1. Combine, strawberries, mango, jicama, cilantro and anahiem chiles in a bowl
2. In a small bowl combine, salt, honey, ginger and lime juice mix
Ingredients thoroughly, then pour over ingredients from step 1 and gently mix all the ingredients
3. Chill for minimum 30 minutes before serving
Tomatillo Salsa (green)
32-oz Grilled Tomatillos
3-ozGrilled Serrano Peppers
3-ozGrilled Anahiem green chiles
1- ozcilantro chopped
2-oz yellow onion finely chopped
1. Roast tomatillos on broiler one side only.
2. Remove tomatillos from broiler place in a 200 pan and place pan back on broiler to finish cooking
3. Roast Serrano peppers, Anahiem chiles and Jalapenos on broiler
4. Remove peppers from broiler and only peel the skin off the Anahiem chiles.
5. Add all roasted peppers, garlic, cumin, cilantro, salt and water to blender. Mix ingredients by flash blending 4 times ( do not puree ingredients)
6. Add chopped onions to blended salsa
Fuego Sauce (hot)
8 ea Tomatoes
5 ea Jalapenos
1 ea Onion, Yellow
4 oz Water
2 Teaspoons Salt
1. Roast on the grill approx 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are blackened
2. Puree in blender
Salsa Brava (mild)
64 oz prepared Del fuego sauce
4 oz fresh habanero roasted pureed
1. Roast fresh habaneros on grill until blackened, then place in blender and puree.
2. Add pureed habaneros to prepared del fuego sauce and mix thoroughly