Faith-centered lifestyle helps man lose weight - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

FOX Medical Team

Faith-centered lifestyle helps man lose weight

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

It's April, and that means it's time for Good Day Atlanta's Summer Shape-Up!  All month we're going to be talking to Georgians who've had a weight loss breakthrough.

Travis Martin has been battling his weight since he was a kid. By 15, he says he was on blood pressure medication. By his 20s, he was having chest pains. Every time Travis tried to lose the weight, he'd hit a wall, until he found a way to silence his inner-bully.

In one of the few photos Travis has of himself heavy, he's literally hiding behind his dog. He wasn't even 30, and felt like a failure.

"I would get up well over 300 pounds, go on crash diets that wouldn't work. And you think it's all your fault. You have no self-discipline. You're a glutton. You're a bad person," said Travis.

Now 42, a father of three, and living with his fiancee Sasha in Taylorsville, Georgia, Travis says he'd come to hate the man he was.

"And I said, God, I need some help. I've gone as far as I can go. And literally, I felt changed. And I decided that I would become a different person, immediately. I would not look in the mirror and tell myself I hated myself anymore, that I was ugly, that I was fat," said Travis.

He started journaling.

"And I would step back, and listen to the words on the paper, and I began to realize, that's how I sound to people! No wonder I'm unsuccessful in every area of my life," said Travis.

So, he started rewriting his story by focusing on the positives.

"I began to see what was good about Travis, what was funny, and there wasn't that much bad," Travis said.

He learned to cook healthier, and created a weight loss survival kit that's full of healthy foods so he can eat anywhere without feeling deprived.

"I'm going to eat "right" more days than I'm going to eat "wrong."  And that's how I lost over 100 pounds," said Travis.

These days Travis feels good, and no longer afraid of failing.

"Because I'm absolutely super-psyched about the way I live. It's pleasure to be me now," Travis said.

After turning his health around, Travis has created Thrive! Weight Loss. He says it's not a diet, but it's a faith-centered lifestyle program to give people tools to get healthy.

• Good Day ArchiveMore>>

Dine Out for Project Open Hand

Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:39:13 GMT
    Head out to the a participating restaurant to celebrate the 22nd anniversary of Dining Out For Life.
  • Fox 5 I-Team

Cheap vs. Frugal

Cheap vs. Frugal

Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:15 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:15:25 GMT
    There is nothing wrong with saving a buck, but can you cross the line? There is a difference between being cheap and being frugal.

Mountain Festival Brings Music, Dancing To Dahlonega Square

Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:08 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:08:13 GMT
    The North Georgia town of Dahlonega is best-known for its gold. But this weekend, music will bring more than 50,000 people to the historic town square.
  • More Health NewsMore>>

• FOX Medical Team

Are You A Workaholic?

Are You A Workaholic?

Tuesday, April 22 2014 7:33 AM EDT2014-04-22 11:33:25 GMT
    A lot of us work long hours, but workaholics really struggle to call it quits.
    A lot of us work long hours, but workaholics really struggle to call it quits.

Performer offers incredible music for NICU newborns

Monday, April 21 2014 6:15 PM EDT2014-04-21 22:15:42 GMT
    As a cellist with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Jennifer Humphreys usually performs for packed houses of classical music buffs, not one-little sleeping baby out in a hallway at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite.

Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners

Monday, April 21 2014 5:40 AM EDT2014-04-21 09:40:37 GMT
    Kraft Foods is recalling 96,000 pounds of its Oscar Mayer wieners because they may mistakenly contain cheese.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices