The Atlanta City Council has passed a law requiring all public buildings to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.
The move comes after 50 people, including 40 children, were taken to the hospital last December because of a carbon monoxide leak at Finch Elementary School. That leak was later determined to have been caused by human error.
State law does not require schools to have carbon monoxide detectors. That fact was a surprise to parents of the Finch kids who were evacuated.
"The detectors should be mandatory for the safety of the kids," said one parent.
The ordinance calls for every school and public building under the city's jurisdiction to have carbon monoxide detectors by July 1. It'll be up to the fire department to inspect, and monitor the devices.
Not long after the Finch scare, Atlanta school officials announced they plan on installing the detectors in every school. At the State Capitol, a bill has been introduced that would require all schools in Georgia to have carbon monoxide detectors.