Brooklyn 8th grader brings butcher knife to school - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Brooklyn 8th grader brings butcher knife to school

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

An 8th grader allegedly brought a 9-inch butcher knife and a bad attitude to a school in Brooklyn last Tuesday.  It took more than a week to get him suspended.

Now an honor student who says she was threatened by him is too afraid to go to class.

"He had asked me out and I had told him no thank you, I'm not interested and he told me I would regret what I told him, and I would pay for what I said," Lisa Rivera said.

Louis Rivera keeps an extra close watch over his 14-year-old daughter, Lisa. It's all because of what happened last Tuesday when she was one of several students allegedly threatened by a classmate who had a butcher knife in his book bag. 

The Department of Education said the incident was reported to school officials. But parents weren't notified until six days later when a letter was sent from the principal.

It said in part: "last week, one of our scholars (students) reported to us in confidence that one of his peers was in possession of a knife. I immediately notified school safety and we were able to recover the item without incident. "

Rivera said parents should have been notified immediately.

Louis Rivera said his worst fear as a father is getting a call that my daughter was hurt.

Lisa, an honor student at the East New York school, said she couldn't go back to school Thursday knowing that the boy who brought the knife was still there.

"I stayed home because I had realized the boy was back and it wasn't safe for me to go while he was there," Lisa said.

Louis Rivera said his daughter and all the other kids in the school are victims.

The Department of Education says that the student has been suspended. Citing privacy, it would not confirm his location.  Fox 5 News has learned that he is at another school facility and could return to his original school.

For Louis Rivera, that's not good enough. He wants his daughter transferred.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • MTA, union reach deal for transit workers

    MTA, union reach deal for transit workers

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:09 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:09:38 GMT
    Transit officials and the union representing about 34,000 city subway and bus workers reached a tentative contract deal that would include raises and new benefits but require higher health insurance payments, both sides and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.
    Transit officials and the union representing about 34,000 city subway and bus workers reached a tentative contract deal that would include raises and new benefits but require higher health insurance payments, both sides and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.
  • Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Thursday, April 17 2014 1:57 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:57:48 GMT
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads in part:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices