Trenton gun buyback yields many illegal weapons - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Trenton gun buyback yields rocket launcher, illegal guns

Posted: Updated:
Guns collected at a buyback event in Camden, N.J., in December 2012. (Office of the Attorney General) Guns collected at a buyback event in Camden, N.J., in December 2012. (Office of the Attorney General)

State and county officials say that 700 of the 2,600 weapons collected during a two-day gun buyback in Trenton were illegal.

Among the weapons turned in was a shoulder-fired rocket launcher, several semi-automatic weapons and sawed-off shotguns.

New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa also said Tuesday that more than 90 percent of all the weapons purchased in the state's second gun backback were operable.

"I'm not here today suggesting buybacks are the singular answer," Chiesa said during a press conference. "However, there's no question that buybacks are part of the solution, and we believe that they're making a difference in New Jersey as evidenced by the 700 illegal firearms collected in this buyback."

He said about $324,000 was given out in the guns-for-cash program -- nearly $100,000 of that amount in vouchers because they ran out of cash.

Among other weapons, the Mercer buyback brought in more than 100 sawed-off shotguns, nearly 1,000 handguns, four Tech-9 semi-automatic pistols, two Hi-Point semi-automatic assault rifles like those used in the Columbine shootings, a shotgun disguised as a nightstick, an antique Uzi, two Thompson submachine guns, an Egyptian fully-automatic assault rifle, a World War II vintage Luger pistol, at least three M-1 carbine rifles, a 12-gauge shotgun with a "streetsweeper" drum cartridge capable of holding 12 rounds of ammunition, a shoulder-firing rocket launcher and a tear-gas/riot gun.

Chiesa said there are plans for another gun purchase program but he does not yet know when or where it will be held. 

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices