Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home

Posted: Updated:

WAYNESBORO, Ga. (AP) - Authorities say a 65-year-old man is dead after fire spread through an assisted living home in eastern Georgia.

Insurance and Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the blaze started at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twin Oaks Assisted Living Home in Waynesboro. One man inside the home, Charles Atkins, was killed.

Investigators say the home was destroyed but six other people inside escaped the flames without injury.

The cause hasn't been determined. But Hudgens' office says investigators are looking at the possibility that the fire was ignited by a cigarette that wasn't extinguished properly.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices