Cuomo: Some homeowners can sell to state and move - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Superstorm Sandy

Cuomo, Christie lay out plans for Sandy hit homeowners

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

For the last 50 years, the Hirsch family has spent their days loving life in Long Beach, Long Island.

There is nothing that would make them leave; not even Superstorm Sandy, which destroyed their bungalow by the bay.

So imagine their surprise when they heard New York State is offering to buy homeowners out of their homes in certain places at fair market value and leave the land vacant. It would be a cheaper option than helping residents rebuild time and again.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo told the Daily News editorial board that some homeowners should give it some thought.

The buyout would be paid with the federal relief money, requested from Washington.

What wouldn't be paid for is Cuomo's recommendation that the homeowners who do stay build their homes on stilts.

Governor Chris Christie says New Jersey is adopting the advisory flood maps released last month by the federal government to help guide rebuilding following Superstorm Sandy. The maps establish new standards for rebuilding along the Jersey Shore.

The maps establish new standards for rebuilding along the Jersey Shore. They show a higher risk of flooding in some areas than the old maps did and establish tougher guidelines for rebuilding, including in some places higher elevations.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency expects to take 18 to 24 months to adopt the standards. Christie says it didn't make sense to use old maps to guide New Jersey's rebuilding or wait for FEMA to formally adopt them.

The governor says he believes there are "very few places" where New Jerseyans won't be able to rebuild.

Christie warns those who don't rebuild according to the new flood map standards could see greatly higher insurance costs.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Party's over for New York man who hosted big bash

    Party's over for New York man who hosted big bash

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:50 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:50:36 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    Authorities have arrested a 23-year-old central New York man who hosted a graduation party that got so big and rowdy that authorities called in a helicopter to help break it up. Gregory York was arrested Tuesday night and arraigned in Town of Manlius Court on criminal trespass charges. He's being held on $2,500 cash bail after his mother decided to press charges.
    Authorities have arrested a 23-year-old central New York man who hosted a graduation party that got so big and rowdy that authorities called in a helicopter to help break it up. Gregory York was arrested Tuesday night and arraigned in Town of Manlius Court on criminal trespass charges. He's being held on $2,500 cash bail after his mother decided to press charges.

  • U.S. Attorney warns Cuomo over Moreland Commission

    U.S. Attorney warns Cuomo over Moreland Commission

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:46 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:46:15 GMT
    The U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York is reportedly warning Gov. Andrew Cuomo that he will investigate his administration for possible obstruction of justice or witness tampering in connection with the Moreland anti-corruption commission. The NY Times reports the letter from Preet Bhara says, in part: "Some commissioners have been asked to issue public statements characterizing events and facts regarding the commission's operation."
    The U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York is reportedly warning Gov. Andrew Cuomo that he will investigate his administration for possible obstruction of justice or witness tampering in connection with the Moreland anti-corruption commission. The NY Times reports the letter from Preet Bhara says, in part: "Some commissioners have been asked to issue public statements characterizing events and facts regarding the commission's operation."
  • Terror threats at chemical plants underestimated

    Terror threats at chemical plants underestimated

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:05:38 GMT
    Congressional investigators say the government is underestimating the threat of a chemical attack on America's densely populated cities and has failed to inspect virtually all of the chemical facilities that it...
    Congressional investigators say the government is underestimating the threat of a chemical attack on America's densely populated cities and has failed to inspect virtually all of the chemical facilities that it...
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices