While scrolling through Pinterest, you've probably seen the popular trend of using mason jars to hold meals and desserts.
Chef Kevin Wemlinger from Del Frisco's Grille shows how to make a modern dessert in a jar. He puts together Eggnog Pot au Crème, a creamy custard is infused with Brandy, Dark Rum, nutmeg, ground clove and pumpkin spice and served with a dollop of whip cream and cinnamon sticks.
Eggnog Pot Au Crème
*Six small mason jar servings
½ Quart Whole Milk
½ Quart Heavy Cream
3 Whole Eggs
3 Egg Yolks
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1/8 Cup Brandy
2 tbsp. Dark Rum
¼ tbsp. Nutmeg
¼ tbsp. Ground Clove, Ground
¼ tbsp. Pumpkin Spice Mix
Cardamom as needed
1. Place milk, cream and sugar in a small saucepot.
2. Bring to a gentle boil and at the same time add egg yolks and the whole eggs in a stainless steel mixing bowl and stir gently together with a wire whisk. Do not whip causing air into the eggs.
3. Slowly add the hot milk/cream mixture into the egg and stir with a wooden spoon to avoid curdling.
4. Pass the cream mixture thru the chinoise or fine sieve
5. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, to create custard.
6. Combine in the brandy, vanilla, spices and add to mixture.
7. Fill the mason jars with 8 ounces of custard and place jars in a 4-inch deep pan.
8. Create a water bath by pouring hot water into the pan to about halfway up the Mason jar.
9. Cover the pan with foil and poke holes in the foil for venting.
10. Bake in a conventional oven at 300 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
11. Remove the pan from the oven and place in refrigerator to cool.
12. Once cooled top with whipped cream and sprinkle with a small amount of ground cardamom