Atlanta public art project draws range of messages - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Atlanta public art project draws range of messages

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

A public art project in Atlanta that has prompted hundreds of passers-by to leave personal handwritten messages will be coming down later this month.

On the new Eastside Trail of the Atlanta BeltLine, artist Misao Cates asked people to write short messages with a black marker on white ribbons and then tie those ribbons across bamboo poles. By mid-November, there were more than 1,000 messages.

Cates says she's thrilled so many people have taken part in the temporary art project. It was supposed to come down last month but was extended into late December. Then, she says, she'll burn the ribbons and "release the inscriptions and messages to the wind."

Atlanta BeltLine Inc. and its partners have invested more than $1.3 million in public art, including 16 permanent pieces.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • More Local NewsMore>>

  • Man leads Rockdale Deputies on 100mph chase

    Man leads Rockdale Deputies on 100mph chase

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:20 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:20:03 GMT
    A South Carolina man fleeing from deputies crashed his car and had to be pulled from the wreckage after it burst into flames.
    A South Carolina man fleeing from deputies crashed his car and had to be pulled from the wreckage after it burst into flames.
  • Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat

    Manchester High evacuated over 'text message' bomb threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:36 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:36:51 GMT
    Students at Manchester High School were evacuated from the building late Wednesday morning following a reported bomb threat.
    Students at Manchester High School were evacuated from the building late Wednesday morning following a reported bomb threat.
  • Use of force 'not justified' in officer shooting of Bartow teen

    Use of force 'not justified' in officer shooting of Bartow teen

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 15:20:30 GMT
    A Bartow County Grand Jury has stated that the use of deadly force in the February shooting of a teen was 'not justified'. Christopher Roupe, 17, was fatally shot by Euharlee officer who claimed the teen answered the door with a gun.
    A Bartow County Grand Jury has stated that the use of deadly force in the February shooting of a teen was 'not justified'. Christopher Roupe, 17, was fatally shot by Euharlee officer who claimed the teen answered the door with a gun.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices