Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island to remain closed through 2012 - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Superstorm Sandy

Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island to remain closed through 2012

Posted: Updated:
Photo by NPS/Rannow Photo by NPS/Rannow
Damage on Liberty Island after Hurricane Sandy (photo by National Park Service) Damage on Liberty Island after Hurricane Sandy (photo by National Park Service)
Debris and damage on Ellis Island (photo by National Park Service) Debris and damage on Ellis Island (photo by National Park Service)
MYFOXNY.COM -

The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island will remain closed through at least the rest of the year, the National Park Service announced Wednesday.

Facilities and infrastructure on both islands, which together make up the Statue of Liberty National Monument, suffered damage in Superstorm Sandy's historic storm surge.

The Statue of Liberty itself, the pedestal, and the base were unharmed, but the storm chewed up a brick walkway, railings, and docks on Liberty Island.

On Ellis Island, the storm damaged exhibits, displaced some fuel oil tanks, beached a U.S. Park Police boat, damaged and uprooted a police trailer, flooded machinery in the basements of the historic hospital and administration buildings, and littered the area with debris.

Crews are cleaning up debris on both islands and have started repair work, the National Park Service said.

A Park Service spokeswoman said no reopening date had been set and won't be announced until at least Jan. 15, 2013.

The service created a Facebook page called NPS Hurricane Sandy Response, which chronicles the damage assessment and recovery to the numerous National Park Service facilities affected by the storm. Parts of the Fire Island National Seashore and the Gateway National Recreation Area suffered significant and some devastating damage in the historic storm.

The closure of the island has resulted in the loss of jobs.  Hundreds of employees of the ferry company that serves the islands, the concessionaire, and other related companies have been laid off.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices