Man dies from smoke inhalation in apartment fire - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com

Man dies from smoke inhalation in apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
MESA, Ariz. -

A man died from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in an apartment near Baseline and Extension Roads early Wednesday morning.

Firefighters identified the victim as 29-year-old Daniel M. Montoya. 

Montoya died from smoke inhalation when he was unable to get out of a burning apartment.

Firefighters said they believe a working smoke detector went off in the apartment but are not sure why the man was unable to get out. The man was found near the front door of the apartment.

Eight other people were evacuated but most of them have been able to return home. Two apartments were badly affected, according to firefighters.

Firefighters are calling the fire accidental but are still investigating how it started. So far, firefighters have determined the fire started around the sofa.

This is a developing story. Stay with FOX 10 News for updates.

Powered by WorldNow

KSAZ-TV & KUTP
511 W. Adams St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003

Phone: (602) 257-1234
Fax: (602) 262-0177

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices