A 5-year-old Phoenix boy was killed Monday when a television fell on top of him.
It happened at a home near 35th Ave and McDowell.
The boy was home on fall break and he had been left alone in a room for two hours to watch TV. Police say the TV that fell on him was perched on a TV stand that was too small.
"When his mother and his grandmother went in to get him for lunch, they found him with a large old-style picture tube television on top of him on the floor in the bedroom," said Sgt. Trent Crump.
"It looked like it was sitting about two feet off the floor and so clearly, you know this is probably not created from the impact of the fall but from the pressure of it being on him."
Nobody heard anything, and it's not known how long he was underneath the TV.
As sad as this accident was, police say that it was preventable. TV and furniture tipover deaths are not uncommon. Between 2000 and 2010, 245 kids ages 8 and younger were killed in this type of accident.
In more than half the cases, children were crushed, and many of them died of fatal head injuries.
Officials suggest anchoring furniture and TVs to walls.
"There are kits you can purchase at any home improvement stores that can help secure these items," said Crump. "We have got to do a better job at securing these to the walls."
Experts also suggest making sure freestanding kitchen stoves have anti-tip brackets.