Studies show that for prevention, it is smart to do some natural home remedies to strengthen your family's immune system.
Olivia Wingert, Owner of Souvia Tea and Specialty Tea Institute and Level III Certified Tea Master, gives the top five natural home remedies that everyone should take.
1. Black Tea & Immunity -- Drinking black tea can help boost your immune system. It is important to drink black tea regularly and build it into your routine.
2. Herbal Blends -- A good organic herbal blend can boost immunity, decrease congestion, release toxins and reduce fever.
3. Making Your Own Cough Syrup from the recipe below
4. Echinacea -- One of the most popular herbs in America today. Taking 1/2 to 1 teaspoon every hour at the first onset of cold symptoms, continuing through the duration of the cold.
5. Garlic -- A natural anti-viral and antibiotic in its raw state, garlic is helpful when you first have symptoms.
Homemade cough syrup recipe
1 cup fresh or ½ cup dried elderberries
1 cup honey
1. Place the berries in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Smash the berries. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and add 1 cup of honey, or adjust to taste.
3. Bottle the syrup and store in the refrigerator, where it will keep for 2 to 3 months.